Sunday, August 18, 2019

Aug 12 - 18, 2019

Monday we were invited to lunch by Gerry and Ben Nihipali.  They took us to Turtle Bay Lei Lei's where we had chicken and they had a veggie burger.  They are the most wonderful people.  They were in the tempe presidency when we first arrived and had served three years in the Kona Temple presidency before that.  They now serve in the temple as baptistry mentor and she is a mentor on one of the shifts and serves in the office.  We have loved them.

At FHE the Farnsworths had their Aloha OE.  Sister Oram announced that all the talks for these Aloha Oe's would now be 5-7 minutes each.  Sister Farnsworth said "sorry we already had this put together when this change was made.  They did a great job with pictures.  They had quite a diverse mission.  They started out as Hale parents then moved to BYUH where they did many wonderful things.  On the 9th when we have our Aloha oe' there are four couples leaving so they had to do something or we would be there all night.
Farnsworths
This week we worked 7-1pm.  It was a good week.  This is also the day Kaylee arrived home from the London Mission.  She was greeted by her family.  Sorry we were not there.
Mallorie, Kaylee, Courtney

Mom Kaylee Dad
I went to Peggy Hopkinson's to make three leis for the kids for graduation.  She has been so generous with her time and talents.  They will be going back to American Fork.  Found out that their dentist is who Courtney works for in SL.
Leis for Bingham, Jerome and Mersede
Thursday evening I met with Sister Reisman, she is an organist at the temple, and she showed me how to make scrubbies and we also did a little FHistory since she was working at the FHC.  Paul is really into the ordinance ready app which brings up names for us.  We usually try to hit it hard the first of the week getting all the ordinances done.  I still have about 8 endowments from Darlene.

On fast Sunday we met this family in Milliani.  Friday they came to the temple to do baptisms for the new convert's father.  They remembered us from our visit on Fast Sunday when we both bore our testimonies and then taked to them afterwards.  So rewarding. The Sister missionaries came with them.

A new convert and husband from Milliani 

Saturday we had to switch with Broadbents because they had us scheduled for a late wedding and we also did the 9 am session which had 23 sisters and 16 brothers on it.  These are always fun to do.
We left the temple and went to Kualoa Ranch to volunteer for the Spartan run.  If we each volunteered Kimberly could get free races so off we went.  Ended up handing out banannas and water at the finish line.  We were under a tent and Paul found chairs for us so it was a pretty good job except we were there for 9 hours.  She should get the code vouchers for the race.  It was interesting.  Can't figure out why people like to do this but they do.  There were over 2000 of them.  The Beast was the run, 13 miles and 34 obstacles.  The earliest time was just under three hours and the longest 7-8 hours.  Some people actually did the course twice.

Sunday Paul spoke at the YSA Sunset Branch and spoke on the scriptures.  He had a great talk.  Brother Webb the HC said everyone took notice when he said he joined the church at 46.  Paul's talk

HIS TALK ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 18, 2019 YSA SUNSET BRANCH

"When we want to talk to God we pray and when we want God to talk to us we read His scriptures.John 5:39-Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life; and they are which testify of me.
God created the earth and teaches us in the book of Genesis in the old testament. The first five days God saw that it was good. After God created man in his own image, male and female God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good.  Very good after female.
The crowning event recorded in the Book of Mormon is the personal ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ soon after his resurrection. It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men and women what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come. The Savior’s name appears  on the average once every 1.7 verses. The Book of Mormon teaches the divine mission of Jesus Christ.  Mission president mark in red the Savior’s reference. Our mission president asked us to read the Book of Mormon 30 minutes each day.
D&C 33:16-And the Book of Mormon and the holy scriptures are given of me for your instruction; and the power of my Spirit quickeneth all things.
The scriptures were so important to Lehi that he sent his sons back to Jerusalem to obtain the plates of brass.
I also want you to know the Lehi sent them to get the scriptures before they were sent back to Jerusalem to get Ishmael and his daughters so Lehi’s sons would have wives.
3 Nephi 23:1-Jesus approves the words of Isaiah. I say unto you that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently and he commanded them that they should teach the things which he had expounded unto them.
Elder Bednar taught us in the last conference. The Savior has given us a pattern to follow as we study the scriptures. We hear the word, we ponder upon its meaning, we ask our Heavenly Father to help us understand, and then our minds and hearts are prepared to receive the promised blessings. It is allowing the word to move from our minds to our hearts. The Spirit bears witness to our hearts as we prayerfully seek to know the things of our Heavenly Father. 
Our personal responsibility is to learn what we should learn, to live as we know we should live, and to become who the Master would have us become. And our homes are the ultimate setting for learning, living, and becoming.
The Prophet Joseph Smith taught that each Latter-day Saint needs to understand for himself or herself the designs and purposes of God in our lives.
I must never forget that I am a Child of God. I love him and I know that He loves me.

I first learned this truth when I was baptized in Camarillo Ca when I was 46 years old. My wife and I were married 18 years before I became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I told the Bishop I would not get baptized until I read the scriptures. I did not like to read so I figured that would be the end of it.

I learned early to liken my self to the scriptures. 1Nephi 19:23- I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.
I read about the hard hearted and stiff-necked people. Do not procrastinate the day of your repentance. Then I read some more scriptures.
D&C 39:10-Arise and be baptized and wash away your sins and you shall receive my spirit and a blessing so great as you never have known.
Ezekiel 36:36-A new heart also will I give you and a new spirit will I put within you and I will take the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you and ye shall keep my judgments and do them. The key work is do them.
After my baptism I wrote in my scriptures. I must never forget that I am a Child of God. I love Him and I know that He loves me.   Repeat in your mind.
My wife wrote a letter to President Ezra Taft Benson, the president of the Church. He responded. I have read through tear dimmed eyes your sweet letter telling of your husband’s decision to prayerfully read the Book of Mormon. May Heavenly Father bless you and your family with His choicest blessings as you continue to learn and do His will.
President Russell M. Nelson has counseled us: “There is much more to come. … Eat your vitamin pills. Get your rest. It’s going to be exciting.
President Nelson also counseled us regarding the Book of Mormon. My dear brothers and sisters, I testify that the Book of Mormon is truly the word of God. It contains the answers to life’s most compelling questions. It teaches the doctrine of Christ.5  The full power of the gospel of Jesus Christ is contained in the Book of Mormon. Period.
My dear brothers and sisters, I promise that as you prayerfully study the Book of Mormon every day, you will make better decisionsevery day. I promise that as you ponder what you study, the windows of heaven will open, and you will receive answers to your own questions and direction for your own life. I promise that as you daily immerse yourself in the Book of Mormon, you can be immunized against the evils of the day.

We must feel it so deeply that we would never want to live even one day without it. I might paraphrase President Brigham Young in saying, “I wish I had the voice of seven thunders to wake up the people to the truth and power of the Book of Mormon. This is the book that will help to prepare the world for the Second Coming of the Lord.

I also make a promise to you as you read the Book of Mormon on a daily basis, the spirit of the Lord will touch your heart and you can learn what Nephi learned in          
1 Nephi 1:1-I Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days; nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days.

There are at least 17 verses that refer to being favored or highly favored of the Lord that I have found. They will touch your heart if you find them yourself. Will share

1 Nephi 17:35-He that is righteous is favored of God.

1 Nephi 3:6-Therefore go my son and thou shalt be favored of the Lord, because thou hast not murmured.

Alma 48:20-The people did humble themselves insomuch they were highly favored of the Lord.

Mosiah 10:13-Nephi was more faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord; therefore, he was favored of the Lord, for the Lord heard his prayers and answered them.
Alma 13:23-We are thus highly favored for we have these glad tidings declared unto us.
President Russell M. Nelson-My dear brothers and sisters, construction of these temples may not change your life, but your time in the temple surely will. In that spirit, I bless you to identify those things you can set aside so you can spend more time in the temple.

Elder Neil L. Andersen talked at BYU-I devotional Feb 2017. We were married in 1971. Reverse the year. My wife must have been there. He told the listeners to not be afraid to take a chance on someone who may not be that obvious choice. We must look deeper and farther into who they are and who they will become. Sister Lewis, thank you for taking a chance on me and helping me to become your eternal companion. I love you.  "        


Today Kaylee gave her homecoming.  All the kids and cousins were present.  We are so happy that they love and support each other.  Good training from my parents and Paul's parents who were always so supportive.  They say she did great, which I am sure she did.  We are very blessed.  The Lord has been so very good to us.  We love the Lord and His gospel.  




The Lau's who come to the temple at least once a month.  Both children are in wheelchairs
 The following pictuares are from the Spartan race



friends from the temple, he ran the race, she waited for him.
granola bars, bananas, water












No comments: